Active Areas of Research and Development
Medical applications of physics (general studies of medical applications of physics, primarily ultrasound and recently, near-IR and terahertz radiation, including: experiment and modeling of general medical ultrasound; ultrasound imaging of tissue stiffness and of blood flow distributions, and of (painful) sensation distributions, to improve the diagnosis and hence treatment of conditions of the central and peripheral nervous system; modulation of brain function with ultrasound; terahertz imaging systems for assaying the status of skin burns, from Spring 1995)
Specific Research Areas
- Mourad PD as PI, with Marzban C (APL), Chesnut R (Neurosurgery), Vladimir Schwartz (St. Petersburg, Russia) and PhysioSonics, Inc. Use of ultrasound to non-invasively measure intracranial pressure and cerebral perfusion pressure; automation of transcranial Doppler. Hypothesis #1: transcranial Doppler imaging and arterial blood pressure data can combine into predictive algorithms for critical neurological medical variables that currently require a neurosurgical procedure to implement. Hypothesis #2: palpation or vibration of brain with ultrasound correlates with intracranial pressure. Hypothesis #3: automatic TCD (aTCD) can improve monitoring of vasospasm
- Mourad PD as PI, with Friedly J, Gellhorn A (Rehab Medicine), Jarvik GA (Radiology), Loeser J (Neurosurgery), Chudler E, Gofeld M, Richebee P, Terman G (Anesthesiology). Use of ultrasound to differentially diagnose sources of pain. Hypothesis: intense focused ultrasound under image guidance can map the distribution of sensations in a patient in pain to localize painful tissue pathology, to track their treatment, to assay the extent of central sensitization, to localize peripheral nerves to facilitate induction of regional anesthesia.
- Arbabi H as PI (APL), Winebrenner DP (APL) and Mourad PD. Application of terahertz radiation for grading & diagnosis of burns. Hypothesis: images of burns created with terahertz radiation can determine the extent of desiccated versus well-vascularized tissue in skin burns.
- Mourad PD as PI, Murphy S, Moore A and Morrison R (Neurological Surgery), Beauchamp N (Chair of Radiology), Kucewicz J (APL), Stone J and Salzar R (UVA). Imaging endogenous and exogenous brain-tissue displacement patterns for the case of traumatic brain injury. Hypothesis: hemorrhage, edema, diffuse axonal injury each have different ranges of shear and bulk modulus compared to normal brain tissue, quantities that our analysis of ultrasound backscatter from that tissue can translate into images of damaged tissue. Such differences can form the basis of brain imaging with a field-deployable ultrasound device
- Mourad PD as PI, Kucewicz J (APL), Stone JR (UVA), Tyler WJ (Virginia Tech). Functional ultrasound imaging via mapping of endogenous brain-tissue displacement.
Hypothesis: Novel analysis of transcranial ultrasound can produce maps of brain function.
- Pun S (Bioengineering) as PI, with Mourad PD, Silbergeld DL, Horner P and Levitt M (Neurosurgery), Opening the blood-brain barrier (BBB) with ultrasound for therapeutic purposes. Hypothesis: ultrasound in the presence of acoustic contrast agents can optimize delivery of therapeutic or diagnostic agents.
- Mourad PD as PI and Browd SR and Ellenbogen RG (Neurosurgery). Ultrasound-guided disposable catheter for external ventricular drainage. Hypothesis: intrinsically deployed ultrasound guided catheters optimally emplace within cerebral ventricles.
- Mourad PD and Tyler WJ (Virginia Tech University) Neuromodulation of brain function targeted and monitored by ultrasound. Hypothesis: focused and nearly diagnostic ultrasound can transiently, and repeatedly, activate central neuronal circuits.
- Mourad PD, Hevner B (Neurosurgery) and King BR (UW Psychiatry). Assay of ability of diagnostic ultrasound delivered in utero to alter the behavior of mice after their birth. Hypothesis: diagnostic ultrasound delivered in utero alters the structure of the central nervous system with behavioral consequences.
Broadly speaking, Dr. Mourad performs applied and basic research involving physics, especially ultrasound and, emergently, electromagnetic radiation, focused primarily on applications to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Dr. Mourad's work is always motivated by clinical problems.
- Ability to predict cerebral perfusion pressure, as shown on humans.
- Automated transcranial Doppler into commercialization.
- Developing maps of brain-tissue stiffness, in vivo.
- Developing a non-invasive evocative test to aid the in the localization and diagnosis of pain, also on its way to commercialization.
- Demonstration of drug flux into brain facilitated by ultrasound.
- Experimental (in vitro, ex vivo, in vivo, and human based studies) methods supporting medical applications of physics (primarily ultrasound, also including THz radiation, near-infrared spectroscopy).
- Biological effects of ultrasound.
- Translational research as a field of study and its concrete practice, including generation of companies and intellectual property.
Bibliography of Selected Publications
ARTICLES THAT ARE PUBLISHED
- Mehic E, Xu JM, Caler CJ, Coulson NK, Moritz CT, Mourad PD. Increased anatomical specificity of neuromodulation via (modulated) focused ultrasound. In press at PLoS One.
- McGah PM, Levitt MR, Barbour MC, Morton RP, Nerva JD. Mourad PD, Ghodke BV, Hallam DK, Sekhar LN, Kim LJ, Aliseda A. Accuracy of Computational Cerebral Aneurysm Hemodynamics Using Patient-Specific Endovascular Measurements. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. Epub 2013 Oct 28.
- Noble ML, Mourad PD, Ratner BD. Digital Drug Delivery: On-Off Ultrasound-mediated Controlled Release of Antibiotics from Coated Matrices with Negligible Background Leaching. In Press at Biomaterials.
- McClintic AM, Brabb T, Friedly J, Ko H, Loeser JD, Tych RE, Mourad PD. Animal models of diffuse and focal peripheral neuropathy: their implementation, a novel test for neuropathic pain, and their clinical relevance. In press at Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR) Journal: special issue on ‘Animal Models of Peripheral Neuropathy’.
- McClintic AM, King BH, Webb SJ, Mourad PD. Mice exposed to diagnostic ultrasound in utero are less social and more active in social situations relative to controls. In press at Autism Research.
- Gabler LF, Stone JR, Mourad PD, Crandall JR, Salzar RS (2013) Region Specific Viscoelastic Properties of the Adult Rat Brain under Indentation following Traumatic Brain Injury, Proc. Ircobi Conf., paper no. IRC-13-52, pp. 470- 482.
- Arbab MH, Winebrenner DP, Dickey TC, Chen A, Klein MB, Mourad PD. Terahertz Spectroscopy for assessment of burn injuries in vivo. J. Biomed. Opt. 18 (7): 077004;doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.18.7.077004
- Marzban, C., R. Illian, D. Morison, P. D. Mourad. Within-group and between-group correlation: Illustration on noninvasive estimation of intracranial pressure. In press at IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Levitt MR, McGah PM, Alberto Aliseda A, Mourad PD, Nerva JD, Vaidya SS, Morton RP, Ghodke BV, Kim LJ. (2013) Endovascular sonography of intracranial aneurysms treated with flow-diverting stents: Computational modeling using patient-specific measurements. American Journal of Neuroradiology. EPub 13 July 2013.
- McClintic AM, Dickey TC, Gofeld M, Illian PR, Kliot M, Kucewicz JC, Loeser JD, Richebe PG, Mourad PD. (2013) Rapid ultrasonic stimulation of inflamed tissue with diagnostic intent. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 134(2) Pt 2:1521-1529.
- McClintic AM, Dickey TC, Gofeld M, Kliot M, Loeser JD, Richebe P, Mourad PD. (2013) Intense focused ultrasound preferentially stimulates subcutaneous and focal neuropathic tissue: preliminary studies. Pain Medicine. 14(1):84-92.
- Xu JS, Chu S, Lee RJ, Paun M, Yao A, Murphy S, Mourad PD. (2013) Evidence of diaschisis after ischemic stroke through ultrasound-based elastography. J. Ultrasound in Medicine.
- Marzban C, Illian PR, Kliot M, Morison D, Moore A, Czosnyka M, Mourad PD. (2013) A method for estimating zero-flow pressure and intracranial pressure. Journal of Neurosurgerical Anesthesiology. 25(1):25-32. PMID:22824923 PMC: 3524356
- Tych RE, Gofeld M, Jarvik JG, Kliot M, Loeser JD, McClintic AM, Ollos RJ, Pederson KD, Sparks RE, Terman GW, Mourad PD (2013) Neuropathic tissue responds preferentially to stimulation by intense focused ultrasound. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 39(1):111-116, PMID:23200180.
- Garcia JB, Gofeld M, Illian PR, Loeser JD, Kliot M, McClintic AM, Ward A, Yao A, Mourad PD (2013) Intense focused ultrasound as a useful research tool for the quantification of diurnal inflammatory pain. Ultrasonics 53:84-89.
- Dickey TC, Tyche RE, Kliot M, Loeser JD, Pederson K, Mourad PD. (2012) Intense focused ultrasound can reliably induce sensations in human test subjects in a manner correlated with the density of their mechanoreceptors. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 38(1):85-90.
- Arbab MH, Dickey TC, Winebrenner DP, Chen A, Klein MB, Mourad PD (2011) Terahertz reflectometry of burn wounds in rat skin. Biomedical Optics Express. V2(8):2339-2347.
- Arbab MH, Dickey TC, Winebrenner DP, Chen A, Mourad PD. (2011) Characterization of burn injuries using terahertz time-domain spectroscopy. Proc. SPIE 7890, 78900Q, DOI:10.1117/12.876229.
- Roberts F, Hacker BM, Oswald T, Mourad PD, McInnes JC. (2010) Evaluation of the use of ultrasound within a power toothbrush to dislodge oral bacteria using an in vitro Streptococcus mutans biofilm model. The American Journal of Dentistry. V23(2):65-69.
- Mourad PD, Roberts FA, McInnis JC (2007) Synergistic use of ultrasound and sonic motion for removal of dental plaque bacteria. Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry. V28(7):296-301.
- Miao CH, Brayman AA, Loeb KR, Ye P, Zhou L, Mourad PD, Crum LA (2005) Ultrasound Enhances Gene Delivery of Human Factor IX Plasmid. Human Gene Therapy July, V16:893-905 (e-available June 05).
- Porter TM, Murthy N, Mourad PD, Stayton PS, Hoffman AS, Crum LA (2005) Control of cavitation-induced hemolysis with a surface-active polymer. Acoustic Research Letters Online. 6:201-206
- Mourad PD, Silbergeld DL (2005) Breaking the blood-brain barrier: using high-intensity focused ultrasound to treat malignant brain tumors. RT-Image. V18(32):28-32.
- Mourad PD, Farrell L, Stamps L, Chicione M, and Silbergeld DL. (2005) Why are systemic glioblastoma multiforme rare: systemic and cerebral growth of a mouse glioblastoma. Surgical Neurology, V63(6), 511-519.
- Mourad, PD, L. Farrell, P. Santiago, H. L. Fillmore, W. C. Broaddus, and D. L. Silbergeld. (2003) Quantitative Assessment of Glioblastoma Invasion in vivo. Cancer Letters. Mar 20;192(1):97-107
- Winstead, N. S., Sikora, T. D., Thompson, D. R. and Mourad PD (2002) Direct influence of gravity waves on surface-layer stress during a cold-air outbreak, as shown by synthetic aperture radar. Mon. Wea. Rev. 130, 2764-2776.
- Mesiwala, A. H. and Mourad PD (2002) Monitoring of biologic effects of focused ultrasound beams on the brain. Radiology. Jul;224(1):294-6; discussion 296-7.
- Mesiwala, A. H., L. Farrell, H. J. Wenzel, L. A. Crum, D. L. Silbergeld, H. R. Winn, and Mourad PD. (2002) High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Selectively Disrupts the Blood-Brain Barrier in vivo. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 28(1) 389-400.
- Poliachik, S. L., W. L. Chandler, Mourad PD, R. J. Ollos and L. A. Crum (2001) Activation, aggregation and adhesion of platelets exposed to high intensity focused ultrasound Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 27(11) 1567-1576.
- Kwok, C. S., Mourad PD, L. A. Crum, B. D. Ratner (2001) Self-assembled Molecular Structures as Ultrasonically-responsive Barrier Membranes for Pulsatile Drug Delivery. J. Biomed. Mat. Res.57(2) 151-164.
- Winstead, N. S., R. Schaff, and Mourad PD (2001) Synthetic Aperture Radar Observations of Surface Signatures of Cold-Season Bands over the Great Lakes. Weather and Forecasting. 16 315-328.
- Mourad PD, N. Murthy, T. Porter, S. L. Poliachik, L. A. Crum, and A. S. Hoffman and P. S. Stayton, Ultrasound and Poly(2-ethylacrylic) acid act synergistically to permeabilize lipid bilayers (2001) Macromolecules. 34, 2400-2401.
- Mourad PD, D. Lazar, F. P. Curra, A. M. Avellino, B. C. Mohr, L. D. McNutt, K. C. Andrus, L. A. Crum, M. Kliot (2001) Ultrasound accelerates functional recovery after peripheral nerve damage. Neurosurgery. 48(5), 1136-1141.
- Vandemark, D., Mourad PD, T. Crawford, C. Vogel, J. Sun, S. A. Bailey and B. Chapron (2001)
Measured changes in ocean surface roughness due to atmospheric boundary layer rolls. J. Geophys. Res. 106(C3), 4639-4654.
- Chang, P. P., W.-S. Chen, Mourad PD, S. L. Poliachik and L. A. Crum (2001) Thresholds for inertial cavitation in Albunex suspensions under pulsed ultrasound conditions. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control 48(1), 161-170.
- Moller, D., Mourad PD, and S. Frasier (2001) Field observations of radar backscatter from the ocean surface under low wind speed conditions. J. Geophys. Res. 105(C10), 24,059-24,069.
- Winstead, N. S. and Mourad PD (2000) Great Lake-scale atmospheric thermal circulation imaged with Synthetic Aperture Radar. Mon. Wea. Rev. 128, 3654-3663.
- Curra, F. P., Mourad PD, V. A. Khokhlova, R. O. Cleveland and L. A. Crum (2000) Numerical simulations of heating patterns and tissue temperature response due to high intensity focused ultrasound fields. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 47(4), 1077-1088.
- Kwok, C. S., Mourad PD, L. A. Crum, and B. D. Ratner (2000), Surface modification of polymers with self-assembled molecular structures: multitechnique surface characterization. Biomacromolecules, 1(1), 139-148.
- Kristovich, D.A.R., G.S. Young, J. Verlinde, P.J. Sousounis, Mourad PD, D. Lenschow, R.M. Rauber, M.K. Ramamurthy, B.F. Jewett, K. Beard, E. Cutrim, P.J. DeMott, E.W. Eloranta, M.R. Hjelmfelt, S.M. Kreidenweis, J. Martin, J. Moore, H.T. Ochs, D.C. Rogers, J. Scala, G. Tripoli, and J. Young (2000), The Lake-Induced Convection Experiment (Lake-ICE) and the Snowband Dynamics Project. Bull. Am. Meteor. Soc., 81(3), 519-542.
- Mourad PD, D. Thompson and D. Vandemark (2000) Extracting fine-scale wind fields from synthetic aperture radar of the ocean surface. Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest, V21(1):7-14.
- Poliachik, S., W. Chandler, Mourad PD, M. Bailey, S. Bloch, R. Cleveland, P. Kaczkowski, G. Keilman, T. Porter and L. A. Crum (1999) Effect of high-intensity focused ultrasound on whole blood with and without microbubble contrast agents. Ultrasound in Med. and Bio, 25(6) 991-999.
- Vaezy, S. R. Martin, Mourad PD and L. A. Crum (1999) Acoustic hemostasis: A potential method to stop bleeding in surgery and in the field. Euro. J. Ultrasound, 9, 79-87.
- Vaezy, S., R. Martin, U. Schmiedl, M. Caps. S. Taylor, K. Beach, S. Carter, P. Kaczkowski, G.
Keilman, S. Helton, W. Chandler, Mourad PD, M. Rice, R. Roy and L. A. Crum (1997) Liver hemostasis by high-intensity focused ultrasound. Ultrasound Med. and Biol., 23(9) 1413--1420.
- Matula, T. J., R. A. Roy, and Mourad PD (1996) Optical pulse width measurements of sonoluminescence in cavitation-bubble fields. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 101(4) 1994--2002.
- Mourad PD (1996) Inferring the multiscale structure of atmospheric turbulence using satellite- based SAR imagery. J. Geophys. Res.,101(C8) 18,433-18,499.
- Mourad PD, and B. A. Walter (1996) Viewing a cold air outbreak using satellite-based SAR and AVHRR imagery. J. Geophys. Res., 101(C7) 16,391--16,400.
- Mourad PD, and B. A. Walter (1996) Analysis of mesoscale linear features observed within the arctic atmospheric boundary layer. Mon. Wea. Rev., 124(9) 1924--1940.
- Matula, T. J., R. A. Roy, Mourad PD, W. B. McNamara III and K. S. Suslick (1994) Comparison between multi-bubble and single-bubble sonoluminescence spectra. Phys. Rev. Lett., 75(13) 2602--2605.
- Mourad PD and K. L. Williams (1993) Near-normal incidence scattering from rough, finite surfaces: Kirchhoff theory and data comparison for arctic sea ice. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 94(3) 1584--1597.
- Mourad PD and D. R. Jackson (1993) A model/data comparison for low-frequency bottom backscatter. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 94(1) 344--358.
- Mourad PD, D. Rouseff, R. P. Porter, and A. Al-Kurd (1992) Source localization using a reference wave to correct for oceanic variability. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 92(1) 1031--1039.
- Porter, R. P., Mourad PD, and A. Al-Kurd (1992) Wavefront reconstruction in variable, multimode waveguides. J. Opt. Soc. Am., A9(11) 1984--1990.
- Williams, K., G. Garrison, and Mourad PD (1992) Arctic sea ice: Experimental examination of growing and newly submerged sea ice including acoustic probing of the skeletal layer. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 92(4, part 1) 2075--2092.
- Mourad PD and R. A. Brown (1990) Multiscale large eddy states in weakly stratified planetary boundary layers. J. Atmos. Sci., 47, 414--438.
- Francois, R. E., K. L. Williams, G. R. Garrison, Mourad PD and T. Wen (1989) Ice keels, I: Intrinsic physical/acoustic properties of sea ice and scattering from ice surfaces. U.S. Navy Journal of Underwater Acoustics, 39(4, part 2), 1203--1228.
- Tyler WJ, Wetmore D, Mourad PD (2012) “Device and methods for targeting of transcranial ultrasound neuromodulation by automated transcranial Doppler imaging.” Filed 2 April 2012 under Serial No. 61/619,233.
- Mourad PD, Browd SR, Murthy R, MacConaghy B, Coulson NK (2012) Uultrasound stylet.” Filed 10 December 2012 under PCT/US2012/068802.
- Jarvik JG, Mourad PD, Kliot M, Frederickson RCA, McClintic AM, Dickey TC, Gofeld M (2011) “Acoustic palpation using non-invasive ultrasound techniques for identification of target sites and assessment of chronic pain disorders.” Filed 15 June 2011 under Serial Number 13/161,214. Rather self-descriptive.
- Mourad PD, Cronieser D. (2011) “Ultrasound systems, methods and components for diagnosing, localizing, mapping and treating stroke and ischemic events.” Filed March 14, 2011 under Serial No. 61/452,566. The title says it all.
- Mourad PD, Illian PR, Berg J (2010) “Device and Method for Predicting the Likelihood of Caries Development.” Claims priority to U.S. Provisional Application No. 61/157,857. Describes near-infrared imaging-based methods for measuring the pre-caries lesion distribution and geometry on individuals’ teeth and translating those measurements into predictions that the individual is at risk for developing cavities, in time to prevent their actual occurrence.
- Mourad PD, Mohr B, Kliot M, Frederickson RCA, Thompson RL, Seawall J (2009) “Systems and methods for determining intracranial pressure non-invasively and acoustic transducer assemblies for use in such systems” U.S. Patent Application #2009/0149751 A1. Published on 11 June 09. Expands on previous IP for noninvasive intracranial pressure methodologies to include a broad series of specific devices, algorithms and device/algorithm combinations, including disposable user-independent headpiece.
- Jarvik JG, Mourad PD, Kliot M, Frederickson RCA (2008) “Acoustic palpation using non- invasive ultrasound techniques to identify and localize tissue eliciting biological responses and target treatments,” U.S. Patent application #61/192,650, filed on 19 September 2008. Expands on the use of ultrasound to detect peripheral pain generators.
- Mourad PD, McInnes JC, Barrett GA, Ballard DA, Brewer GK, Bennett FJ (2006) “Toothbrush employing acoustic waveguide.” U.S. Patent Application #2006/0191086 A1. Published 3May 2006. Documents advances and refinements of a novel power toothbrush.
- Mourad PD, Kliot M, Patterson RA, Rooke A (2006) “Systems and methods for non-invasive assessments of cardiac tissue and parameters.” U.S. Patent Application No. 11/395,537 filed 31 March 2006. Pertains to novel methods of assessing blood vessel properties and blood pressure.
- Kliot M, Frederickson RCA, Forghani K, Mourad PD (2005) “Systems and methods for non- invasive detection and monitoring of cardiac and blood parameters.” U.S. Patent Application No. 11/234,914 filed 26 September 2005. Speaks to additional advances on applying ultrasound to diagnose cardiac contractility, ventricular filling status, and diastolic dysfunction.
- Hoffman AS, Stayton P, Press OW, Murthy N, Reed CL, Lackey C, Crum LA, Mourad PD, Porter TM, Tirrell D (2011) “On enhanced transport using membrane disruptive agents.” U.S. Patent # 8,003,129 B2, issued 23 August 2011. This documents further advances on novel polymer drug carrying chemicals, including their synergistic effects with ultrasound.
- Mourad PD, Mohr B, Kliot M, Frederickson RCA (2009) “Systems and methods for determining intracranial pressure non-invasively” U.S. Patent #7,547,282, issued 16 June 09. This patent expands the IP coverage for noninvasive intracranial pressure described in an earlier patent application to include advances in algorithm development.
- Mourad PD, Thompson RL, Seawall J, Olson F (2007) “Toothbrush employing an acoustic waveguide,” U.S. Patent #7,296,318 issued 20 November 2007. For a toothbrush that rapidly and effectively cleans plaque from teeth, due to sonic and ultrasound-mediated interactions.
- Mourad PD, Kliot M, Rooke A, Patterson RA (2006) Systems and methods for making non- invasive assessments of cardiac tissue and parameters. U.S. Patent # 7,022,077, issued 4
April 2006. Pertains to novel application ultrasound to diagnosis of cardiac contractility, ventricular filling status, and diastolic dysfunction.
- Mourad PD, Kliot M, Mesiwala A, Patterson RA, Jarvik JG (2005) “Systems and methods for Making Noninvasive Physiological Assessments.” U.S. Patent #6,875,176 issued 4 April 2005. For predicting intracranial pressure and for localizing peripheral pain.
- Hoffman AS, Stayton P, Press OW, Tirrell D, Murthy N, Lackey C, Crum LA, Mourad PD, Porter TM (2004) “On enhanced transport using membrane disruptive agents.” U.S. Patent # 6,835,393 speaks to novel polymer drug carrying chemicals, including their synergistic effects with ultrasound.<
- Ratner B, Kwok CS, Mourad PD, Crum LA (2001) “Drug delivery devices, and methods of use.” U.S. Patent #6,444,217. On a novel drug carrying implant whose enclosing membrane transiently opens during application of ultrasound.
BOOK CHAPTERS PUBLISHED OR IN PRESS.
- Mourad PD (2013), “Therapeutic Ultrasound, with an emphasis on applications to the brain” in Nakamura K, Ueha S, eds. Ultrasonic transducers - materials design and applications. Woodhead Publishing Ltd, pp545-568.
- Czosnyka M, Schmidt B, Schmidt EA, Ramakrishna R, Mourad PD, Kliot M. Non-Invasive Brain Monitoring. In: Le Roux PD, Levine J, Kofke WA, eds. Monitoring in Neurocritical Care. Philadelphia: Elsevier, in press.
- Dahl, E., L. Nguyen, R. Sparks, A. Brayman, R. Ollos, D. Silbergeld, S.Vaezy, and Mourad PD, "Towards the use of HIFU in conjunction with surgery in the treatment of malignant brain tumors," in Therapeutic Ultrasound, Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium, G.T. Clement, N.J. McDannold and K. Hynynen, eds., 218-222. American Institute of Physics Press, 2006.
- Mourad PD, Anderson B, Bobola M, Dahl D, Ellenbogen R, Farrell L, Mesiwala A, Morrison R, Nemecek A, Nguyen L, Ollos RA, Porter T, Santiago P, Silbergeld DL, Stamps L, Vaezy S (2003). Towards Intra-Operative Treatment of High-Grade Gliomas with HIFU, in Therapeutic Ultrasound, Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium, M.A. Andrew, L.A. Crum and S. Vaezy, eds (American Institute of Physics Press), pp. 518-524.
- D. A. Lazar, F. P. Curra, B. C. Mohr, L. D. McNutt, M. Kliot and Mourad PD. Acceleration of recovery after injury to the peripheral nervous system via ultrasound and other therapeutic modalities. In: Mayberg, M. R. and H. R. Winn – consulting editors (2001) Neurosurgery Clinics of North America, “Peripheral nerve issues: Controversies in Peripheral Nerve Surgery,” M. Kliot – guest editor. V12(2), pp. 353-358.
- L. A. Crum, K. Beach, S. Carter, W. Chandler, F. P. Curra, P. Kaczkowski, G. Keilman, V. Khokhlova, R. Martin, Mourad PD, and S. Vaezy (2000) Acoustic Hemostasis. In: W. Lauterborn and T. Kurz, (eds.), “Nonlinear Acoustics at the Turn of the Millennium,” Am. Inst. Of Physics, ISNA 15, (New York), pp. 13-22.
- Mourad PD, and L. A. Crum (1999) An examination and review of ultrasound for lipoplasty. In: Dispaltro, F. L. (editor), “Clinics in Plastic Surgery on Ultrasound-Assisted Lipoplasty: Part II. W. B. Saunders Company, (Sydney), Ch. 9, pp. 409-422.
- Mourad PD (1999) Footprints of atmospheric phenomena in synthetic aperture radar images of the ocean surface - a review. In: G.L. Geernaert (editor), “Air-Sea Exchange: physics, chemistry, and dynamics” Kluwer Academic Publishers (Dordrecht). Chapter 11, 269-290.
- Mourad PD (1999) Biological effects of ultrasound. In: Webster, J. L. (editor), “Encyclopedia of Electronics and Electrical Engineering,” John Wiley & Sons (Philadelphia), V2, pp.368-386
Published Research Articles
View complete lists of current research publications by faculty from the Department of Neurological Surgery.
Samuel Browd, MD, PhD
Dr. Browd specializes in pediatric neurosurgery, specifically with children who have hydrocephalus, brain & spinal cord tumors, pediatric cervical spine, spina bifida, chiari malformations, and spacticity.
View the Interview
View all faculty interviews